Sunday, November 29, 2015

Hooverville



Many families in the Great Depression were too poor to afford housing. Some of them had gotten evicted, where even their family pictures were sold. They then moved to "Hoovervilles", areas of makeshift homes next to cities. 

The name "Hooverville" mocked the president, Herbert Hoover. Hoovervilles were made up of scraps, including old tires, cardboard boxes, newspapers, and flattened metal. It was anything anyone could find, making it often unsafe for living. Garbage cans were a very important part of homeless living, because you could cook on the bottom, flatten it to make part of a house, or even, in some cases, sleep inside of it.

No two Hoovervilles were quite alike, and the camps varied in population and size. Some were as small as a few hundred people while others, in bigger metropolitan areas such as Washington, D.C., and New York City, boasted thousands of inhabitants. St. Louis, Missouri, was home to one of the country’s largest and longest-standing Hoovervilles.

Whenever possible, Hoovervilles were built near rivers for the convenience of a water source. For example, in New York City, encampments sprang up along the Hudson and East rivers. Some Hoovervilles were dotted with vegetable gardens, and some individual shacks contained furniture a family had managed to carry away upon eviction from their former home. However, Hoovervilles were typically grim and unsanitary. They posed health risks to their inhabitants as well as to those living nearby, but there was little that local governments or health agencies could do. Hooverville residents had nowhere else to go, and public sympathy, for the most part, was with them. Even when Hoovervilles were raided by order of parks departments or other authorities, the men who carried out the raids often expressed regret and guilt for their actions. More often than not, Hoovervilles were tolerated.


In addition to the term “Hooverville,” President Hoover’s name was used derisively in other ways during the Great Depression. For example, newspapers used to shield the homeless from the cold were called “Hoover blankets,” while empty pants pockets pulled inside out–demonstrating no coins in one’s pockets–were “Hoover flags.” When soles wore out of shoes, the cardboard used to replace them was dubbed “Hoover leather,” and cars pulled by horses because gas was an unaffordable luxury were called “Hoover wagons.”


Seattle's main Hooverville was one of the largest, longest-lasting, and best documented in the nation. It stood for ten years, 1931 to 1941. Covering nine acres of public land, it housed a population of up to 1,200, claimed its own community government including an unofficial mayor, and enjoyed the protection of leftwing groups and sympathetic public officials until the land was needed for shipping facilities on the eve of World War II. If you would like to see more pictures of the Hoovervilles in Washington State click here. 

Watch as Herbert Hoover did too little too late to help turn around the economy. 


This video  talks about Hoovervilles. 

Comment on the blog:  How would you feel if you lost your home because your parents couldn't make the mortgage payment and you had to give up the family car?  

23 comments:

  1. If my parents couldn't afford a home, I would feel terrible. Not for me and my needs, I mean I'm sure that'd be affected. But because I wouldn't know how or if I could help them. And I know that would make them feel down as parents and their responsibilities. Even though these families couldn't control it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was in the Great Depression and lost my home, I would be depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If my parents weren't able to make the mortgage payment, I would feel really bad. That would also be really sad to have to give up our car, but it would totally be worth it. It definitely would be different without a car. We would have to walk to get all our groceries from the store. As far as not being able to make a mortgage, it would be a great loss, but we would all go through it together comforting each other along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did the first link not work for anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was the Herbert Hoover link.

      Delete
    2. 5 extra credit points for everyone who said 'Me Neither.'

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. wow, it didn't work for a lot of people, I thought it was just my old computer! (It didn't work, it kept on say "This page cannot be displayed" ???)

      Delete
  5. I would feel terrible if my parents couldn't lay the bills. I would want to do something about it and help them out. I'd try and go find work but I would probably have not found it. No car wouod be hard with all the stuff my family does, but then again if we couldn't pay our bills we wouldn't continue paying for me and my brother to be in activities for fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a pain because of all of the child-labor laws. At 15, I can still only do select jobs and I can only work a certain amount of hours a week.

      Delete
  6. I would immediately get a job at Bush Car Wash because it is four miles from our house and I could bike there. Or I could get a paper route to bring in some extra cash. Giving up the family car would be really sad, because then I couldn't go to Eastside Academy for school. The home, though, would just be brutal. We would have to move in with a friend for a while, or get a cheap apartment, and basically we would have to start over our lives. I think I would be the opposite of depressed though. It would drive me to work harder to help out my parents. It's really easy to be depressed or throw a pity-party for yourself, but being depressed won't help your situation, it will just make it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. if my family lost our home bc my parents couldn't pay the bills, i would feel really really awful. for not contributing when i probably could. i think it would bring us closer together tho is we did not have a car or a home like i would work harder and do anything i could to help them out and these days we could probably stay with someone but it would still be terrifying to be put in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If my family lost our home and car I would feel very distressed, but I would try to help as much as I could, and try to find a job to help support the family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think if my family lost our house I would feel kinda bad, but I think it would be fun to live in a Hooverville.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course like almost everyone who has already commented, I would feel devastated. It would probably take a toll on our relationships knowing us and it would be hard to live in a small house so crammed next to each other. I would try to go find a job on a farm to help with finances and escape the Hoovervilles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I sure wouldn't feel good. I might feel responsible for the fact that my parents couldn't pay for the house. My parents already pay for so much of my life and work hard for it so if I knew they were struggling to pay for the house, I would feel like I need to quit school, or other things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loosing a car would be the worst. My family has 6 cars and I still can't get rides sometimes. So having no car, and no rides ever would be aweful! Walking or riding a bike would be doable, but very tiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it would be pretty hard to get around without a car these days, and nowadays if you don't have a home and no car, it's basically a description for a homeless person! anyways, if I was to loose my home and car (if I had a car anyways) I'd probably immediately search for a job, and if not, try to find a way to survive. My biggest fear would be (these days) criminals in the streets....basically for the safety of me being homeless and no where to run!
    I think it'd be weird using a garbage can for cooking, shelter, and sleeping in!!

    ReplyDelete