Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Dust Bowl




 By the 1910s, rising wheat prices, a war in Europe, and several years of unusually high rainfall created a land boom known as the “Great Plow-Up.” Millions of acres of thick native grassland were converted into wheat fields virtually overnight. People swept into the area like locusts, buying up land, building boom towns, hoping to hit it rich and achieve the American dream.
By 1931, the Southern Plains were on their way to a near decade-long natural disaster of Biblical proportions. The constant plowing of the land upset the delicate balance and exposed huge swaths of once native grassland to dry weather and high winds. At its peak, 100 million acres in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Colorado, and New Mexico were hit with dust storms that rose 10,000 feet into the air and 2.5 million desperate Americans left their homes in a massive exodus to start new lives.
Watch this brief video on the Dust Bowl. Travel through the Dust Bowl, choosing each step of the way. Complete your worksheet as you progress and be prepared to turn it in on Monday. 

21 comments:

  1. The interactive website about the Dust Bowl is not working for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bummer.... I wonder if you don't have a required "plug in?" It works fine for me. Let me investigate.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you copy and paste the following link:
    http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/dustbowl/interactive/

    ReplyDelete
  4. it just skips everything u click?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is doing the same thing. Like I’ll click something and it will show me a screen for a video for half a second and then move on to the next bit. I’m really confused.

      Delete
    2. Same, I got a few of the questions on the worksheet answered, but it skipped a lot, and I have the same problem Cassie does with the videos. :(

      Delete
  5. It still is skipping everything and I can only choose stuff but when I choose something it just immediately after shows me more choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not working for me either, mine is doing the same thing as Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm guessing this is another chain of "Mine doesn't work either"! Because it doesn't work for me either, I'll try copy and pasting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, wait, I copy and pasted the link, and went tot he site, but it skipped all the videos :O
    I mainly said "Keep farming" and "Visit your neighbor" (Trixie and boots were the names) (I went to texas and Oklahoma) (did it twice)

    even if it didn't work, I had fun doing it, even though it was half-way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. do we still do the worksheet even if it didn't work? Maybe we could write what we know....???

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I was the only one that is having problems with the website! My theory is that it is not the link of the website it is the program on the website. The videos on the program are not loading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I had my dad look at it and he works with computers so I thought maybe he could see what’s going on. He said it was a 403 error(Forbidden) and that it’s not our end it’s theirs that is all messed up. He said it could be something like they haven’t updated it so it’s not going to work. So basically, there is nothing we can do about it. Only the website managers can fix it. What do you want us to do?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cassie and others,
    It looks like the site is experiencing difficulty which is really disappointing!!! Of course, you wont be held responsible for the worksheet. Thanks for patiently trying and troubleshooting.

    Mrs. Tvedt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! I'll still try to answer the questions, but I'll just lower it's priority :P

      Delete
  13. I might be quite late to comment but just in case this is mandatory I'd like to say I was surprised such a large amount of dust could be caused by farming!

    ReplyDelete