Monday, December 28, 2015

The New Deal

In his inaugural address on March 4, 1933, he declared: "This nation asks for action and action now."  With the famous phrase, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself," he promised to exercise "broad executive power to wage war against [the Depression]."  What followed was a dizzying array of initiatives.  Roosevelt immediately gathered a "Brain Trust" of economic advisers and instructed his staff to "take a method and try it.  If it fails, try another.  But above all try something."  

In his first hundred days in office, Roosevelt called Congress into emergency session and launched a record fifteen major pieces of legislation.  Between 1933 and 1938 the administration and Congress created dozens of federal programs collectively known as the New Deal, and often referred to as the "Alphabet Agencies."  

This brief video explains the New Deal Reforms. 
Comment on the Blog: Which agency do YOU think was a really good choice for FDR to create? 

17 comments:

  1. I think the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp (FDIC) is good because deposits are backed by the full faith and credit of the United Sates Government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Works Progress Administration (WPA) is awesome because it was employing millions of unemployed people[mostly unskilled men] to carry out public works projects, including the construction of public buildings and roads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i liked the fair labor standards act - FLSA - (which i thought said elsa and made me search the internet forever -.- ) because it treated everyone who worked fairy and gave them something that had been needed for a long time, limited hours and minimum wage

    ReplyDelete
  4. i liked the ss act. because it give old people money to live

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the WPA. It provided a way for unemployed men to help out with public works projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Civilian Conservation Corps because it helped thousands of unemployed Americans. Also, the music was awesome on that video. I didn't get tired of the beat for all 4:15 of the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Most of the music in the other videos makes me want to sleep but this made me want to dance!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Haha, yes! :) It was awesome! I had to back it up a few times because I kept focusing on the music instead of the lesson! Haha, I suppose I could have just muted it....nah! :P

      Delete
  7. I also liked the Civilian Conservation Corps. I liked it because in the description of the packet we got, it said (quote) "The CCC taught men and women of America how to live independently, thus increasing their self-esteem." This is really good because it formed the citizens of the USA to not be lazy or think the government will provide for them and do things for them, it helped create a productive, independent, self-governing society which America should be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the Social Security. I know thats a well known one but I still like that it gives money to the elderly so they can live a normal life without having to work at that age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my grandpa is still receiving money today from Social Security. He's like 85 so it's really helpful to have some extra cash.

      Delete
  9. I liked the PWA which provided large sums of money for construction in the cities! I feel like without that money put aside the government would forget about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the WPA really benefited America because it gave tons of men a job that they REALLY needed, and it gave America new landmarks, like Hoover dam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the NRA (National Recovery Administration) because it encouraged businesses! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked the FLSA (fair Labor Standards Act)because it made it harder to discriminate anyone with less pay for more hours.

    ReplyDelete