Monday, January 4, 2016

Life in London during WWII


evacuation children

Operation Pied Piper

The fear of air attack from German bombers at the start of war encouraged parents to send their children to safety. The evacuation of Britain's cities at the start of World War Two was the biggest and most concentrated mass movement of people in Britain's history. In the first four days of September 1939, nearly 3,000,000 people were transported from towns and cities in danger from enemy bombers to places of safety in the countryside.

Most were school children, who had been labelled like pieces of luggage, separated from their parents and accompanied instead by a small army of guardians - 100,000 teachers. 


Many evacuees stayed with very kind families and were cared for and happy like the children in this postcard. Others, however, stayed with families who did not want them there and were less kind to them. 


How did rationing and shortages affect Londoners? 

During the six years Britain was at war, 1939–45, life was frequently hard for Londoners. Food and clothing were rationed and in short supply. Bombing caused fear, injury, death and destruction. Families were often separated due  to evacuation and fathers going away to fight. Londoners learned to live with uncertainty and hardship. 

Rationing was introduced to control supplies of food and clothing during the war. Dried and tinned food became common as fresh meat and fish were in short supply. 

The government’s ‘Dig for Victory’ campaign encouraged people to grow their own food to avoid fresh produce shortages.  

Due to rationing, boys had to wait until they were 12 years old before being allowed to wear long trousers. 
Adults were allowed to use 66 coupons a year – children were allocated additional coupons to allow for them outgrowing their clothes during the year. All clothes were rated. A pair of shoes used five coupons while a suit used 18 coupons.  People were encouraged to ‘make do and mend’ to help their clothes last longer. 

Pages of the book had different colored coupons. The coupons shown here are blue. Only one color could be used at a time. The government announced when the next color could be used, to prevent people using all their coupons too quickly.  




Why did Londoners wear identity tags? 

Bomb injuries suffered by Londoners often made identifying wounded people difficult. The authorities encouraged civilians to wear identity tags to speed up the process.  

Many Londoners wore metal bracelets like this one engraved with their personal details, to help with identification. 



How did Londoners keep themselves safe during the Blitz?

Many Londoners used air raid shelters called Anderson shelters to keep themselves safe during air raids.  These shelters were given free by the government to all householders with a garden who earned less than £250 a year.  

At six feet  high and buried in four feet  of soil, the conditions in the shelter were not always pleasant. Like the people in the engraving, Londoners were cramped together and shelters often flooded.  

These shelters could only be used by those with gardens to put them in. For Londoners without a garden, protection was found in any available cellar space, in Underground stations or in public surface shelters found in open spaces such as parks.  

Thousands of Londoners sheltered from the air raids on platforms and staircases and in the tunnels and ticket halls of the London Underground stations.  
  
Complete your Life in Britain worksheet. 
Each part has a web address for you to visit in order to answer the questions. I have them here so you can click on them rather than type them in your search bar. 


Evacuations 

Comment on the blog: How do you imagine you would feel having to spend time in this type of shelter? 



credit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/britain_wwtwo/evacuees_01.shtml 

23 comments:

  1. For 1. I would get crampped really fast if there were even 5 people living in one of those bomb shelters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I agree with you, Jonathan. I think I would suffer from claustrophobia very quickly!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You are just fine. There is a deadline on commenting on the Blog, usually the day after the due date but feel free to always complete the blog early if you want to.

      Delete
  3. I would feel extremely dirty and crammed, as Jonathan said. I really like my space, in this case that would be extremely high maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that I would not feel vary good being forced to live in a cramped and dirty shelter to protect myself from bombs. I also think that this is not as bad as what the Jews were going throw, because they hid in cramped places and if they were found they would be taken away and killed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, but it is still bad but I definitely would not want to be in their position.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would feel very claustrophobic and gross because I imagine it being pretty dirty, especially if it often flooded.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Emma, really claustrophobic. At only six feet high ceilings, I would have about an inch of space over my head. At least they were free for low income civilians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have only a little room, but me, I probably couldn’t even touch the ceiling with my head if I jumped! Haha, I guess is we ever need to hide like that again I’ll be fine with the ceilings! :)

      Delete
  9. Living in one of these shelters would be torture! I would have a hard time with sharing it with 4 other people and with how dirty it would be. But like Evan said it is a lot better than what the Jews had to go through. I would try to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stressful and claustrophobic that is how I felt in our tornado shelter in Alabama. I believe it is the same feeling in a bomb shelter especially with x amount of dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would feel very scared and uncomfortable. I don’t like being In tight places for long periods of time but I would be ok I think if I knew i was safe from other more terrible dangers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I probably would be more afraid of being bombed on that the conditions in the shelter. But as for the conditions described, I probably wouldn't like to be put in there for to long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would feel scared and probably gross since I would be stuck in the same place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree more with KAS. I would probably be thankful for the free shelter other than worrying about how small it was. Also if you think about it, they didn't have to LIVE in the shelters, they would just go there for safety during air raids. As kids it might even be exciting....in a terrifying kind of way. Haha. I would be thankful to HAVE a shelter to go to during raids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would feel cramped and and after a while somebody would have to go to the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would fell bored and afraid at the same time if that is even possible I probably would be praying for other families as well

    ReplyDelete